Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Keeping Busy On The Weekend

We got a tease of spring this weekend.  Temps rose to just above 60º Saturday so HWNSNBP suggested a bike ride and I was up for it.  We headed out to the bike path at Duke Island Park which is on the Raritan River, just east of the confluence of the North Branch and South Branch rivers.  I only brought my cell with me this time, so when we saw all the geese standing in the rushing water I didn't get a very clear picture of them.  There were tons of them all along the river and lots of walkers on the path.  As pleasant as it was I was glad I had my gloves on and Arctic 180's under my bike helmet, though I know I wasn't there to make any fashion statements.


When we got back home I was going through some more "stuff" , in this case papers, from the stamp cave and came across this page I had torn out of an old sketch pad from years ago.  This was an oil pastel that I did while spending a week in Cape Cod with my mother and sister shortly after my other sister had passed away.  


I never noted the name of the structure, which I'm assuming is a lighthouse in the distance, and a quick search of the internet has proved useless because none of the real pictures of lighthouses that I found resemble what I drew, and I think that portion of land in the picture was much farther away than it appears in my drawing.  But I do remember we were able to walk right out the back door of the time share and sit on the beach any time we wanted.  And I learned that oil pastels blend well in the warm sun, but are a bit messy on the hands.  


It's very easy to get lost in the "mess" when going through my craft room.  But after I did some purging I did sit down to do a couple of cards for my Jingle Belles challenge which will be in a separate post.  I guess I felt a little energized from all the fresh air.

On Sunday it was a little cooler but still close to 60º so we did go for another ride though we cut it short because of the wind.  That outing seemed to work quite the opposite for me.  We did some quick errands which tired me out even more but on the way home we detoured for.........

a Shamrock Shake at McDonald's!


It was just the refreshing SWEET treat I needed before my New Action Plan (NAP).  Things seem to be moving along so fast.  Hard to believe that we're more than half way through February already and thinking about St. Patrick's Day.  Or better yet, Daylight Savings Time which comes in less than three weeks.  Something to look forward to.

If you'd like to check out some other SWEET things from Our Beautiful World click here.

5 comments:

  1. Having moved away from "real" winter over 30 years ago . . . 60 sounds too cold to go for a bike ride, but I remember when I lived in Iowa - it was like a heat wave. We are getting into the 70's and I am liking that. I had a shamrock shake from McDonald's myself this week. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live in the east coast, but being in the desert for 6 years now, 60 is our winter, I really love having 81 for winter. That milk shake looks yummy, I thought was green tea shake at first! Thanks for sharing with us at our beautiful world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful weekend, Lorraine. We're in a couple of weeks of heavy night frosts and crisp cold days here. I love your beach drawing, it just evokes so many childhood holiday memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I could do with some warmth ... I so fed up of the cold... Lovely photos and that sweet treat looks good! Thanks so much for sharing with us at OBW!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dessert looks really sweet! Thanks for sharing with us on Our Beautiful World. AriadnefromGreece

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.