Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Jingle Belles - Baby It's GOLD Outside

Can you guess what our prompt is?  I bet you can.  GOLD.  One of the trends going on in the stamping/scrapbooking world is to use gold in your designs.  So I headed to my paper trove and found all the gold I could work with and came up with...........TAH DAH


My ornament is a Memory Box die called Lydia ornament that both cuts and embosses what you see on the top layer.  I did not purchase the die that makes the back of the ornament choosing to just trace around the edge of the die onto the texture gold paper and cutting it out with scissors.  I did have to use an Exacto knife to get the hole in the hanger part, but it wasn't difficult.  The most difficult part of using these intricate dies is gluing them down.  It's so easy to put too much glue on the back and glue smears show up terribly well on foil cardstock, but I think I managed to avoided any big messes.


I used a rectangle of gold glitter paper and the sentiment is in gold foil paper again using an Elizabeth Craft die.  The vertical ribbon is a favorite that I found at Mike's a couple of years ago, but checking the holiday ribbon selection a couple of weeks ago they have it again.  It too is a bugger to glue down, but in this case I made sure that the ribbon folded over the top and bottom of the top panel so I could use sticky tape on the back to adhere it.  Taping the glitter panel over the top also helps secure it in place.  

The top panel was embossed with a Cuttlebug embossing folder - forgot the name - and when I first added that panel to the card backing I immediately regretted not putting in another layer of gold. Fixed that however with a gold gel pen - v e r y   c a r e f u l l y.

The picture below is in normal light and don't you notice the difference in the shades of gold?  The whole card has a warmer look to it and not so brassy as when under photo light.  


I just checked my box of Christmas cards against my Christmas card list and I am sadly lacking enough cards so I think I will do this card again in another color combination.  Or maybe the gold again, but have the top embossed part of the ornament in white this time.  

Let's see how the other ladies came along with their Midas Touch beauties - click here.

3 comments:

  1. oh wow, wow, wow! what a BEAUTIFUL card, i think i might've actually gasped a little bit when i saw it. every single element is perfection thanks for taking a GILT trip with us at JINGLE BELLES! :)

    ps: i think at some point we really really NEED to have a "get together and share tools" sort of playdate. & i'm not just saying that b/c the ornament die you've used here is the coolest thing in the whole wide world. tho it is, obviously! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ornament looks so regal in gold ... so glad you helped us go for the gold at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine, that is just beautiful.The ornament is lovely (and I know exactly what you mean about the dilemma of to buy a matching solid die or not). The textured card you used under the openwork part of the ornament is perfect!
    And I can't even imagine trying to stick that openwork gold ribbon down. I'm glad you remembered in time to create a design which allowed you to tape it down at the back - much easier all round.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.