Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sand Dollar Sympathy


I lost my father 12 years ago and I do still miss him.  This year has been particularly hard on the rest of the family as we have lost his last brother and two sisters-in-law since January. 

This card is for my Aunt Lucille who was one of those special people that always made you feel good.  I have the fondest memories of her and her soft-spoken voice.  She called people "Love".  She and my Uncle Don had a house at the Jersey shore and we would visit them there or sometimes at their "regular" home.  They always made us feel so welcome - we were a band of 7 and that was a lot to go trekking around visiting relatives.  They had three children all older than us, but my cousin Lisa was the closest in age to me and I got to spend a week with them once when we were in high school. 

I remember having a conversation with my Aunt about music, she telling me how much she liked Simon & Garfunkel.  She was a high school guidance counselor and really knew how to converse with kids of that age.  She always had such an optimistic attitude.  She sewed her own bathing suits and would often wear them around the house (something I've taken to doing during the summer myself but usually with a pair of shorts). 

I was into crewel work at that time and made a pillow for them as a thank you for letting me stay with them.  It had one of those Jacobean designs on it.  Later on, when they retired and moved into their shore house year round, she brought and used the pillow there.  They eventually moved out of New Jersey and spread their time with their children in Florida and Washington State. 

My uncle passed away a couple of years ago after they settled permanently in Washington.  I had hoped someday to go to see my aunt again, but I've missed that window.  I will be sending this card with a note to their oldest daughter sharing my memories.  She had done the same thing when my father died and I remember how good it made me feel to read about her memories of him.  I hope to be able to pass on that feeling. 


I've a fascination with sand dollars lately.  I bought this retired set from my upline just for this stamp - the set is Nature's Wonders.  The background is embossed with a Spellbinders Impressability, the starfish is a Martha Stewart punch (that also makes sand dollars).  I used another MS punch - Deco Fan -  on the bottom border and trimmed it to mimic the scallop shells in the embossing.  The colors are white, Sahara Sand, and Marina Mist. 

1 comment:

  1. I saw this last night but never got back to leave a comment. You're right, it's lovely to hear of happy memories when someone has died. I am sure your cousin will appreciate both the memories and the lovely card. It's too easy to let time slip by without making opportunities. I know sometimes I think it's just that modern life is so busy, but I expect life was always busy, no matter what time people lived in.
    When my mother died, one of my dad's past pupils put together what I suppose you could call a scrapbook, with photos of times he'd visited us, times Mum and Dad had visited him, letters they'd exchanged and so on. It was so thoughtful of him!

    We don't have sand dollars here, I find them intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.