Friday, February 19, 2010

Thursday's Throw Aways

Ahhhh, Valentine's Day can provide some pretty nifty items to repurpose.  Of course there are candy boxes and such, but I was given something else and I knew exactly what I wanted to try with it.  One of the teachers I work with gave me this piece of fabric that was wrapped around the bouquet of flowers she got for Valentine's Day.  The hearts are metallic gold.


I used my Scallop Circle Die to punch out 10 large and 10 small scallop circles.


Then I cut eight scallops off the large ones and four scallops off the small ones.



Next I used a needle and thread to sew a running stitch along the straight edge of each scallop. 


First I stitched all 10 large ones and tied that off. And then I did the same for the smaller ones.


Then I gathered a corduroy brad, a circle of stiff felt (I punched this out with a 1 3/8" circle punch and made a whole in the center), and a pin backing.


I sewed the pin backing to the felt making sure to keep the center hole free.



Once that was done I took the brad and inserted it through the rings that were created with the scallops and then through the felt circle making sure the brad came out the center hole of the pin back. 


Turn it over and you have a cute pin or package topper. 


(This was not my creation.  I expanded on a ponytail holder designed by someone for Stampin' Up.)

For something that was going to end up in the garbage can I think I've managed to make it pretty one more time. 

I'll be trying this with cotton fabric very soon.  Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. You smart cookie, Lorraine! This is just gorjuss:-)
    Sunshine NZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh how clever is this..It is such a pretty way to use this fabric.. I love the wonderful soft look of this material..Great job. Thanks for the tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...this blew me away! LOVE IT! Very creative and absolutely gorgeous!

    (APPLAUSE)

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.