Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday's Throw Aways

Those of you who have been following my blog may remember that I made some craft-related resolutions in January. (If you don't remember, you can find them here.) In my 5th resolution I resolved to use more everyday, recyclable items in my crafts. I even hinted at making it a series here. Well, after a little side-tracking these last couple of months with my health, I finally am going to get it off the ground.

It will be called - as you see in the title of this post - Thursday's Throw Aways. Each week I will try to show you how you can go green in your crafting by using common and easily accessible items that might otherwise be thrown away in my projects.

This week I'm introducing Vera to Martha. Vera sends me a catalog several times a year with some lovely items in it. A couple of those items I even have. Who doesn't love looking at things with pretty patterns?

Now Martha has some great tools. That would be crafting tools. Specifically punches. She has a few different butterfly punches and several botanical punches among many others. Again, some of these things I have.

Vera's catalog is printed on glossy paper of a very nice weight - as Goldilocks might say, not too thin, not too heavy, just right!

I got to wondering if I introduced Martha's tools to Vera's catalog what might come of it. Would they develop a lifelong relationship? Would this be a once in a lifetime meeting? And what would they think of a crafting partnership?

So I got out my Martha butterfly and leaf punches and paged through the Vera catalog punching away and this is some of what came of it -


I chose to use SU's Pacific Point cardstock as my background to make some simple cards. And they are simple. The other tool that I did use was my Xyron with permanent adhesive to make all the punched items into stickers so that I could adhere them to the cardstock easier than trying to glue each individual piece but if you don't have one you can get sticker sheets at the craft store or be very diligent with your choice of glue.

Here is the set of three cards that I came up with this evening. I love the colors - blues and greens. I'd love to hear what you think of this project and would be glad to hear any suggestions for upcoming projects.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved the colors in the Vera catalogs. I used to save the catalogs but could not find a use for them until now and darn if I didn't throw them away. My very favorite colors are the blues and greens. I will look forward to Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, I cannot begin to tell you how MUCH your card meant to me. It seems that I can count the people who are truly "there for me" on three fingers. My blog today contains some details about my illness that I wasn't willing to share before, due to Joe's x-wife honestly believing that "curses" work. But I put in a link to you blog so you will be having company today. Come and visit. I'll be "down" for another week, but not dead....supposedly. lol

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.