Thursday, December 4, 2008

Watercolored Cardinal

Our USPS mail lady at work will be celebrating her birthday on Saturday. We have become friends over the years, mainly because she has to get out of her mail truck to come in to the school to deliver the mail. I think most people don't realize how much our mailpeople have to deal with on a daily basis. Sometimes she really needs to take a break from either the cold, heat, or wet weather. They have to deliver packages that can weigh up to 80 lbs. and have to deal with not only dogs or other animals like deer or birds, but also wasps and spiders in mailboxes.
So to show her a little appreciation I made her this framed watercolored cardinal. I used the SU stamp from A Cardinal Christmas and stamped it in Basic Gray on watercolor paper. Then, using my aquapainter, I watercolored with Riding Hood Red, Bravo Burgundy, More Mustard, Old Olive, Always Artichoke, and Chocolate Chip Ink (with a little bit of Basic Black for the eye).

The frame holder is something that I picked up at the Christmas Tree Shop last year and now I wish that I had picked up more as they were only $1. (Oh yes, I have tons of $1 alterable items here in the house which has me worried sometimes that if I bring one more thing into the house the floors will collapse from the weight. So you will be seeing a lot of these $1 items being altered into gifts for the holidays!)

The finishing touch was the addition of the bow in the lower left corner. She likes birds so I'm pretty sure that she'll like it. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. gorgeous. beautiful gift anyone would be happy to receive. :) you should post this on Shelli's site for this month's creative challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOHHHH! I love this!!!!
    Hugs Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine, this is beautiful. Your mail lady is going to love it!
    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! What a nice person you are, the UPS lady will love it and you!
    LeAnne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely lovely - what a great job you did watercoloring this bird. What a lucky lady your mail lady is to recieve such a beautiful handmade gift!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.