Monday, April 7, 2008

$11 White Elephant

This is not a totally craft related post, however, there are a couple of pieces you will see here that will be used in crafts.


Saturday was our Rescue Squad's annual White Elephant sale. One of the few things that cause me to wake early on a Saturday morning. You see, you have to get there early to catch the good bargains. The doors were to open at 9 a.m. but there was a line forming much earlier than that. I was dropped off to stand in line about 8:55 while my husband ran an errand. I was a little panicked because he is my "box man" which means he follows me around and carries the box while I explore the tables. I grabbed my box as I was let in (there were about 30 people in front of me) and set out to find the table with the glassware. It was a banner year as you can see from the pictures. All of this was found for $11.

I have tea cups to add to my eclectic collection, serving pieces, little cordial glasses, a teapot which I think is either a bunch of grapes or a large blackberry. There was a boxed demitasse set and a little bowl I couldn't resist - see the cat on the outside, there's another one on the inside (it still had a price sticker on it for $2.99, I paid 25 cents).


Thankfully my "box man" showed up before my arm gave out. He dutifully fought through the mayhem behind me and I think that he has learned from experience not to ask questions anymore because he didn't even say "what are you going to do with that?" this time. Which reminds me that I forgot to take a picture of the copper wire tea pot that I will probably fill with flowers and put outside.
I was trying to juggle the box when I came upon the dishes - I just fell in love with the pattern. There are 4 dinner plates, 4 luncheon plates, and 6 bowls. They are stamped Arcopal France - I paid $2 for all the pieces. I later looked up the pattern on eBay and they are going for $5 per dish. I could try to sell them I guess, but I really like them. Someone on eBay had cups to match priced at 2 for $10 - ouch!




The pieces I will use for crafting are the plain little cups and saucers and the clear glass jar. I plan on using my Stampin' Up rub ons on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.