Saturday, March 8, 2008

Getting Punchy

March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb - so the saying goes. Here are a little lion and a lamb that I made using the SU scallop punch as a base. The idea came from this site http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?craftid=11693&page=CraftDisplay which I found shared on another craft site that I frequent.

The lion and lamb have special significance in my family. My son Chris (now 27) used to make this sound when he was little when he was concentrating on a task. It was a cross between a hum and a little growl so we would gently tell him to put the lion away and he would stop. Thus, he is the lion. My 25-yr. old daughter's name is Rachel which is Hebrew for female sheep - the lamb. So I've always thought that if we were to make our own family crest, it would definitely have to have a lion and a lamb on it.

But back to the punches. The lion's head is done in SU's More Mustard and the lamb is in white and black. After I punched the backgrounds I used a paper cutter to cut 1/8" strips of the gold and the white paper. I do have a quilling tool - you can find them at Mike's or on the net - but you can also use a toothpick, or a large darning needle to roll your paper up. I cut those 1/8" strips into various lengths of no more than 3" and rolled them into assorted size circles. You have to use a little dab of white glue on the end to keep the spirals together. After I added the face to the lion, and cut out the face and ears for the lamb, I dipped my little quilled rolls in white glue and added them to the scallop. (The lions ears are 1/2" circle punches added behind the scallop.)

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with these two little guys yet. Maybe I'll work on that crest...... now what can I come up with for the rest of it?????

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.